YouTube is one of the most popular websites in the world, and it’s also a major source of news and information. However, with so much content on YouTube, it can be difficult to distinguish between authoritative news sources and misinformation.
YouTube is taking steps to address this issue by promoting authoritative news sources in the app. One way it’s doing this is by launching news watch pages. These pages pull together content from authoritative sources across video on demand, live streams, podcasts, and Shorts, allowing viewers to deep dive and explore multiple sources and angles.
YouTube is also launching a new funding initiative to help newsrooms make the most of short-form content. This initiative will provide funding to newsrooms to help them create high-quality, engaging short-form videos that can be shared on YouTube.
These steps are a positive development for YouTube users who want to be able to find reliable news and information on the platform. By promoting authoritative news sources, YouTube can help users to stay informed and make informed decisions.
Here are some of the ways that YouTube is promoting authoritative news:
- News watch pages: The news watch pages make it easier for users to find and consume news from a variety of authoritative sources. These pages are organized by topic, and they include videos from a variety of sources, including traditional news organizations, independent journalists, and experts.
- Funding initiative for short-form content: The new funding initiative is designed to help newsrooms create high-quality, engaging short-form videos that can be shared on YouTube. This is important because short-form content is becoming increasingly popular on YouTube, and it can be a way to reach new audiences.
- Promotion of authoritative news channels on the homepage: YouTube also promotes authoritative news channels on the homepage. This helps users to find and subscribe to these channels so that they can stay up-to-date on the latest news.
- Fact-checking: YouTube also works with fact-checkers to identify and remove misinformation from the platform. This helps to ensure that users are seeing accurate information.
Overall, YouTube is taking steps to promote authoritative news and to reduce the spread of misinformation on the platform. These steps are a positive development for users who want to be able to find reliable news and information on YouTube.
Here are some tips for YouTube users who want to find and consume reliable news:
- Subscribe to authoritative news channels: There are many authoritative news channels on YouTube. You can find a list of these channels on the YouTube News homepage.
- Look for videos with fact-check information: If you see a video that makes a claim that seems too good to be true, check to see if there is any fact-check information available. You can do this by searching for the claim online or by looking for a fact-check link in the video description.
- Be critical of the information you see: Don’t just accept everything you see on YouTube at face value. Be critical of the information you see and question its accuracy.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that you are consuming reliable news on YouTube.